A simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing is fantastic with red mullet. If you can’t find that, try using sea bass, sea bream or any other white fish.
- ✽ 300ml olive oil
- ✽ 2 red mullet, filleted (you can ask a fishmonger to do this)
- ✽ 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- ✽ 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- ✽ 3 tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- ✽ 1 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ✽ Small bunch each of parsley, chervil, dill and basil, chopped
- ✽ Juice of 2 lemons
1. Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat, add 1 tbsp of the oil and fry the mullet fillets, skin-side down, for 2 minutes. Flip them over and immediately take the pan off the heat, but leave the fish to cook through in the pan.
2. Meanwhile, for the sauce vierge, gently warm the rest of the olive oil in a small saucepan. Add all the remaining ingredients and heat through for about 30 seconds.
3. Spoon the sauce onto two warmed serving plates and top with the mullet fillets to serve.